PlusOne Program (Accelerated Bachelor/Graduate Degree Programs)

Northeastern University offers a number of PlusOne bachelor’s/master’s degree programs that allow students to accelerate the completion of the bachelor’s degree by applying graduate credits taken as an undergraduate toward both the undergraduate and graduate degrees. Generally, both degrees may be earned in one more year than is the normal time allotted for completion of the bachelor’s degree.

PlusOne Program Approval Process

  • Students will be considered for admission to a PlusOne program by the appropriate graduate admissions committee.
  • Admission will be based on the academic standards defined for the specific PlusOne program.
  • After completion of the undergraduate portion of the program, the student’s record will be transferred to the appropriate graduate school and, at that point, will include materials related to graduate admissions as determined by the graduate admissions committee.
  • A maximum of 16 undergraduate semester hours of credit may be waived via graduate course sharing. Course credits waived via any course credit sharing will be at the undergraduate level only.
  • A minimum of 14 semester hours at the graduate level (after completion of the undergraduate requirements) are required for the master’s degree.
  • The undergraduate degree will be awarded at completion of undergraduate requirements.
  • There is a clear transition point in the PlusOne program (generally when the student has completed the undergraduate curriculum), beyond which a student will be considered a graduate student. The student will then officially transition into graduate status. At this point, students will have a graduate transcript for the remainder of their program.
  • If a student decides at some point to pursue only the undergraduate portion of the combined program, all regular undergraduate program and course requirements will apply. Credit from the undergraduate degree cannot be used toward the graduate degree at a later date.

Please contact your undergraduate college advising office for further information.